When you think about earning KrisFlyer miles, it’s quite likely that the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card will come to mind. The AMEX SIA KrisFlyer card is one of the popular cards often discussed and deliberated by the public, and for good reasons too. AMEX also has another similar card, AMEX KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card, targeted at slightly higher income earning individuals.
If you’re not too familiar with this card, Cardable is here to help you break down the details. At the end of the day, it’s you and your card against the world, as you travel the world. So we’re here to help you look beyond just the air miles rate set by AMEX. We’ll measure the AMEX SIA KrisFlyer card with another popular air miles credit card for better visualisation too.
Let’s delve into the features of the AMEX SIA KrisFlyer credit card.
American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card Features
We’re assuming the first feature you look at when you consider the AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Credit Card is the air miles rate earned with every dollar spent. However, as with all other air miles credit cards, it should go beyond just the air miles rate earned. Take into account your spending habits (like whether you’re expecting a big expenditure coming up), convenience of conversion of points, minimum spending, welcome offers etc. You may be surprised how big of a difference these factors can make.
- For every S$1 spent, you earn 1.1 KrisFlyer miles
- For every S$1 equivalent spent overseas in foreign currency, you earn 2 KrisFlyer miles (only during the months of June and December)
- For every S$1 spent on made on singaporeair.com, SingaporeAir App, silkair.com, KrisShop and at SilkAir SkyShop, both in-flight and online, you earn 2 KrisFlyer miles
- For every S$1 spent, earn 3.3 KrisFlyer miles spent on everyday purchases at participating merchants, up to S$200 each calendar month (promo valid till 31 March 2020) Participating merchants include:
- For every S$1 spent on Grab rides, earn up to 3.3 KrisFlyer miles (capped at S$200
spend per month)
- Receive complimentary insurance coverage. Up to S$350,000 coverage is yours for luggage loss and delay coverage, travel accident and inconvenience coverage, and missed connection coverage.
- Get 30% discount at participating Plaza Premium lounges
- Enjoy up to 50% discounts with merchants under American Express Selects.
- Get exclusive privileges when you rent a car with Hertz, such as a fee waiver for an additional driver and 10% discount off published rates on particular rentals
- Receive a welcome bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles when you charge to your card for the first time (only applicable to first time applicants of any co-branded American Express Singapore Airlines Credit Card)
- Purchase Worldwide annual multi-trip My VooyageGuard Travel InsuranceSM Essential plan at S$188 (Usual S$299) when you apply for your card online (More details on the travel insurance may be found here)
Eligibility and Fee Waiver
- Applicant is over 21 years of age. Supplementary Card applicant should be over 18 years of age.
- For Singapore Citizens and Residents, annual income has to be over S$30,000
- For Expatriates, minimum annual income has to be over S$60,000
- First year fee waiver of S$176.55 is applicable for new American Express Card Members who do not hold any other existing co-branded American Express Singapore Airlines Credit Cards
The Good VS. The Bad
AMEX SIA KrisFlyer vs. Another Same-Category Credit Card
AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Credit Card is sometimes compared to UOB Miles PRVI AMEX Card. Similar benefits are offered by both AMEX-branded credit cards, so the comparison isn’t a complete surprise. You get to earn 1.1 miles for every S$1 spent with AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Card, but the UOB Miles PRVI card offers a 2.4 miles earn rate for every S$1 spent.
Where the AMEX SIA KrisFlyer card’s advantage becomes obvious is in the conversion fee. The UOB Miles PRVI AMEX charges a conversion fee of S$25 for every transfer (of miles into KrisFlyer accounts). No conversion needed with the KrisFlyer miles earned with your AMEX SIA KrisFlyer credit card, because they are credited directly to your linked KrisFlyer account!
Should You Apply for AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Credit Card?
If you travel regularly, especially on our national carrier, this is a good card to consider since 2 KrisFlyer miles can be earned with every S$1 spent at Singapore Airlines and Silk Air. If you’re new to American Express cards, that is another reason to consider this card since there is a welcome bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles. If you have a big expense coming up, why not use this card so that you can hit the S$2,500 spend in the first 3 months to get a bonus of 7,500 miles?
AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Credit Card
All these said, we do recognise that the AMEX SIA KrisFlyer credit card doesn’t have the highest earn rate among other air miles card. Ultimately, it is a consideration of several factors before you decide on the air miles card for you.
ALSO READ: Best AMEX Credit Cards in Singapore