Living a new life – from your native country to Singapore – can be exciting. A “little red dot”, as many would call her, Singapore is a cosmopolitan and vibrant city that offers more than just clean spaces, well-lit roads and greenery. Mega shopping malls with international labels and local designer brands, state-of-the-art, modern condominiums, dining options from kobe beef to wanton noodles, gardens and entertainment centres of sorts. Small but well-equipped, it’s a city not difficult to adapt to given the captivating mix of culture and race.
One thing for sure, living in Singapore isn’t cheap. But like many other cities, there are many life hacks and secrets to saving a few extra bucks a day. Discounts, promotions, free gifts, many of which come with credit cards in Singapore, await you as you settle into the comfort of your new home here.
We’ve curated some credit cards you can consider as an expat in Singapore. They’re not created for the same purposes, and may very well make a good combination if you can apply for more than one card. These cards come with exclusive perks and discounts you can enjoy in Singapore, so keep an eye on them!
|Credit Card||Best for...|
|DBS Altitude Card|
(AMEX & Visa)
|Global airport lounge service|
|UOB PRVI Miles AMEX Platinum Card||High mile rate|
|Maybank World Mastercard||Golfing privileges|
|UOB One||Lower spenders|
1. DBS Altitude (American Express & Visa) Card
Highlight: Global Airport Lounge Service
DBS Altitude Visa signature
DBS Altitude American Express Card
The DBS Altitude credit card (available as American Express or Visa) is a brilliant card for expats because of the plethora of DBS services. And of which is the global access to 1,200 airport lounges worldwide!
As a DBS Altitude card holder, your jetsetter life will be complemented with travel privileges tailored for you from dining delights to luxury pleasures!
- Global recognition (as VISA-branded card)
- 30% off green fees in participating Golf Clubs in APAC
- 18% discount on select restaurants under Visa Food Trails
- 10,000 bonus miles upon payment of annual fee
- Complimentary travel insurance (SGD $1,000,000 coverage)
2. UOB Miles American Express PRVI Miles Card
Highlight: High mile rate
UOB PRVI Miles Card
The UOB Miles American Express PRVI Miles Card is a great card if you are looking to accumulate miles quickly while avoiding a fee. This card lets you earn 10 miles per S$1 spent on major airlines and hotels booked through Agoda, Expedia and UOB Travel! For any other local spend, you earn 2.4 miles per S$1, and 1.4 miles for every S$1 equivalent spent overseas. It also has a comparatively lower fee at only S$ 256.80 than other cards with similar perks.
- Up to 8 free airport transfers to Changi Airport per year
- Enjoy upgrades and VIP privileges with Visa Luxury Hotels Collection
- Complimentary travel insurance (S$1,000,000 coverage)
- Earn up to 3 miles for each S$1 spent on Grab
- Enjoy a bonus of 12,000 welcome miles when you spend S$ 4,000 in first 2 months
3. Maybank World Mastercard
Highlight: Golfing privileges!
Maybank World Mastercard
If you are a golfer, the Maybank World Mastercard is a must-have! Maybank World Mastercard Cardholders receive 2 free green fees/month at 120 fairways across 25 countries. On top of all that, whenever you dine or shop at select partners such as Paradise Group, Imperial Treasure, Resort World Sentosa, Burberry, Chanel, Michael Kors & more, you will earn 10 points (4 miles) for each S$1 spent! This is the ultimate card for frequent travelers that love to golf and spend luxuriously!
- 1-year annual fee waiver (S$240 with minimum spend)
- No-fee golfing privileges
- Free 2-Day, 1-Night Play & Stay Package at Mission Hills Golf Club with S$25k spend on card
- S$100 Cash rebates with a minimum spend of S$800
- Free travel insurance and airport lounge access
4. UOB One
Highlight: Lower spenders
UOB One Card
Not a luxurious big spender? Looking for gratifying rebates instead? UOB One is the card for you! Earn up to 5% flat rebate on all your expenditure including bills paid with every S$ 2,000 spent per month. With this card, you’d be able to spend freely without considering which brands you’ve spent on or which category you are eligible for rebates. UOB One applies a flat rebate to everything that you’ve spent including bill-pay, which is great for expats that are unfamiliar with various brands in Singapore.
- Double your rebates with through UOB SMART$ Programme
- Low income requirement at only S$40,000
- Additional 5% rebate (up to 10%) on Grab rides, food & top-ups
- Up to S$100 cashback with S$1,000 spend in your first month
5. HSBC Advance
Highlight: Cashback of up to 3.5% (with min. spend)
HSBC Advance Visa Platinum
The HSBC Advance is an ideal card if you love savings, as it has great deals that gives you loads of cashback as a cardholder. Cardholders can look to earn up to a 3.5% flat rebate up to S$125/month with a minimum spend of S$2,000. If you spend below that threshold, you will get a 2.5% rebate, which is still a really good deal! Another advantage is that is also gives you special expatriate banking privileges, which includes the ability to manage up to 11 currencies in a single account.
- Low income requirement at only S$40,000.
- Ability to make instant transfers between HSBC accounts worldwide.
- Annual fee of S$192.60 fee is waived for Advance customers.
The key to truly deciding which card to get is to determine what are your objectives for getting a credit card! There are many other credit cards in Singapore which serves different purposes, such as online shopping or attractive cashback programmes. Plan ahead and understand your spending habits to get the best card for yourself. If you’re keen to find out about the other types of cards available, do read our other articles for more information:
SIGN-UP BONUS: Best Credit Card Sign up Promotion in Singapore
CASHBACK: Best Cashback Credit Cards in Singapore
ONLINE SHOPPING: Best Online Shopping Credit Cards in Singapore
Want to see more credit cards appropriate for you? See our list of the Best Credit Cards in Singapore to evaluate the most suitable card to apply.